Monday, January 16, 2012

The Best Shirt Ever!

     Ok, so this is going to be my first post about something fashion related, and I must admit I am quite nervous. If I write about clothes will I have to surrender my man card? Maybe. But I think I am safe if I start off by telling you about the best shirt I own and just how I came to possess it.
        First, I have been watching a lot of shows recently that are centered around people digging through others people's junk and unwanted stuff and finding something of true value. It is amazing how much time I can waste watching Storage Wars and Pickers. On Storage Wars, people bid on abandoned storage lockers and then try and sell off what they find in the unit. Sometimes people can make profits of 40,000 dollars on one unit! The TV show Pickers is about people who go across the country and look for collectors and hoarders who might be willing to part with a unique collectible or other hidden gems. On both shows, the majority of the stuff that people find is worthless junk. But in almost every episode they find one or two valuable items that makes all of their effort worth it.
      Ok, so there is a reason why I am telling you this. It is setting the stage for how I got my favorite shirt. Growing up, my Dad would go through his closet once and a while and clean out all of the stuff that he didn't want anymore, or he grew out of. Naturally, he gave it to me to go through and see if there was anything that I wanted to keep. When I was younger, there wasn't much to get excited about. Some old suits that would take me 10 year to grow into, shrunken turtle-necks, and some t-shirts... no thanks (My Dad insisted that I needed them anyway). After years of disappointment, one day my Dad dropped off a bag of clothes in my room.... and that's when I found it. The shirt that made sorting through all the junk worth it. It was a salmon (not pink!) colored corduroy shirt made by Woolrich.
It fit me perfectly, had an awesome color, and was super comfortable. The shirt has been a staple in my wardrobe ever since I found it that historic day 8 years ago. And every time I wear it I get rave reviews (Either they really like it too or are making fun of me). It was the object of envy on my college hall, causing the shirt to go missing for days and often found in the closet of Zachary Fulmer.


    The shirt is truly a diamond in the rough and is still  going strong. Anyways, that is the story of my favorite shirt and also a valuable life lesson. Sometimes you have to dig through a lot of crap to find the things that are truly valuable. By the way, if you don't own a corduroy shirt, you should. They are super comfy and last forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment