Thursday, February 9, 2012

"I will cause your name to be remembered in all Generations."

Good morning! I am able to write this morning because I am working nights at Chick-Fil-A and I thought that I would use this opportunity to catch up on some of my posts. Lucky for you. This morning I was reading Psalm 45 and I had a thought that I wanted to share. Verses 16-17 caught my attention: "In place of your fathers shall be your sons; you will make them princes in all the earth. I will cause your name to be remembered in all generations; therefore nations will praise you forever." This particularly stood out to me because of a conversation that I had the other day with a man who does campus ministry in Virginia Beach. He shared with me how he and his team have had to think creatively on how to reach our generation because we are so different than the previous one. During our conversation we both agreed that it is a great comfort to know that no matter what is changing in our society or in the world, the power of the Gospel never changes.
I think we need this reminder because often times Christians can be guilty of having a pessimistic spirit about the world and the direction that things seem to be going. For some reason, when people think about the past they remember all the good things and forget about all the bad things. Therefore, their generation becomes the greatest generation or the Reformation is the golden age of Christianity. Don't get me wrong, there may be valid and truthful claims when people say such things. Today's America does seem more openly sinful in some areas than in the past. The Reformation was an age where God bestowed his spirit to bring about a true revival and for those things we can be thankful. I am just bothered when people see the society and the church of the past as this "high point" in history and succeeding generations as rebellious children. Sometimes it comes across as if the world were in a hopeless and irreversible tailspin. But are we hopeless? Are the effects of sin irreversible in our day? No. We still have the same Savior, the same gospel, and the same promises. Which is why I think that the root of this negative spirit is a lack of faith in the promises of God. In Psalm 45 God promises that in every generation he will cause his name to be remembered and that he will always raise up people to proclaim his truth. And he promises that his praises will resound from all of the nations. When i think about this I am filled anew with hope. If I cling to this promise with all of my heart and plead to the Father to be true to his word and cause his name to be praised, how can I despair? What reason do I have to believe that God will not cause his Gospel to flourish and for society to be positively impacted by its presence?
Now, I do not know what the future holds. Maybe the world will continue to get worse and worse. But even then we can still rejoice that God will be faithful to his promises. He will, in every nation, save sinners and bring them into his Kingdom. As long as the earth endures, Christ will be worshipped and praised by new believers. And if the world seems to be mired in darkness, it shall still never overcome the light. The flame of the Gospel shall never be put out. I think these verses ought to make us filled with joy and hope for the future: "In place of your fathers shall be your sons; you will make them princes in all the earth. I will cause your name to be remembered in all generations; therefore nations will praise you forever and ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment